Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Breaking Stereotypes

So I was surfing around last night and found this little study that hit home. Basically the study compiled by Ipsos MediaCT for IGN Entertainment was used to dispel the stereotype that people who play video games are mostly teenagers and loners. It has found that gamers really are a diverse group including people from all ages, married couples and families. You can find a link to an article here, video game study. I for one can definitely attest to that as I grew up playing video games and still enjoy a game or two now and then, you know when I am not working or studying. I also know that with the wide variety of games the social stigma is gone too, as I have had many gaming nights throughout the years with men, women, couples and singles. In fact, with the introduction of the Nintendo Wii, I know of many seniors who have regular bowling nights using the wii sports game at old folks home, how cool is that!? Not to mention my wife and I bought a Nintendo DS for my mother-in-law, at her request of all things, just this past Christmas. So as you can see, I definitely agree with this study, and I think that the old stereotype of the lonely teenager playing by himself is better left in the past.

On another note, I have add this blog to Globe of Blogs which you can reach here.

3 comments:

jmosh said...

This is very true, I enjoy playing games from time to time...It's just like reading a book and taking one away from reality for a bit...I'm pretty sure the avg age for a gamer is mid 30's...Also gaming may be popular to do alone but w/ online capabilities it never truly feels that way.

Cara Maria McDonough said...

Max, I am very happy to see that you've started a blog. What I want to know is, when are you going to write about that grand, philosophical theory we discussed a lot in college? You know the one.

Anonymous said...

Max -
I agree that the age-demographic of video gamers is, well, aging! I think this in part due to the "kids" who grew up on Atari, NES, and Sega are now in their late 20's to 30's and still value the interactiveness of a video game.
On a side note, video games - in particular, the Wii - are growing in popularity with all ages. I recall hearing that senior centers are using the Wii to play bowling, golf, etc., with their residents as it is a simple yet fun way to get some exercise and interaction with other people.
Good post!